Old 05-13-09, 12:46 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew
So, are you guys getting paid to train or something?
I am somewhat on the same schedule as Hermes. I was an All American athlete in Track and Field while in college. After many years of playing softball and basketball long term injuries to one of my ankles led me to cycling. I rode solo by myself for around 12 years then began group rides. The group rides left me wanting to get better and to stay with the faster riders, then to beat the faster riders. In May of 2007 my weight was 227 and I decided that I would begin a program to start to race that would take two years. During 2007 I lowered my weight to 205, cut back on my 2nd love (beer), and attempted to self train via Friel's and Dr Micheal Ross's books. In 2008 I took it a notch higher and committed more time to train and began racing, which also meant loosing 15 more lbs to get to 190. I was a high school track coach for 7 years and thought I could make up my own workouts using Friel's book as a resource. The result in early 2008 was encouraging until I overtrained, came back too soon, overtrained again and basically wrecked 18 months of work. I finally began to ride strong again last fall and decided that following a book to reach my goals wasn't going to do it. I hired a local coach to assess my ability, fitness, comittment and to make up my training progarm. Attempting to follow Friel's methods and workouts didn't work for me due, in part, to him painting intervals and efforts in a "broad brush". It seemed everytime I re-read the book I became more confused. I'm not getting paid to train, but I do allow for, and have my wife's support, the 8 to 14 hours of training each week.

Last night I raced in a 31 mile race, finished in 3rd place and won $14! I guess I'm a pro now. Taking a third place against 25 others riders is not very significant, however, in my mind and sprit it is everything that I am. On the last lap of 15 in last night's race I was tired, I started to tell myself that I raced well and to just ride to the end with the middle of the group. About 1/2 mile from the finish the "competitive juices" took over and I was at a place that I dreamed about while doing 2+ hours workouts last winter while on a trainer in the basement. I don't remember any pain as we sprinted to the end, I only remember trying to go a little faster than everyone else, then, the race was over. I'm happy in the direction my riding has taken me and look forward to doing it for at least 4 or 5 more years. My commitment and reasons for riding are not the same as most who visit this great place, my passion for riding may be less than others, however my training program is a tool to realize what I need from cycling.