colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've done TOSRV twice. No more for me, thank-you. Support is OK; I've seen better and I've seen worse. Twenty-five miles between rest stops doesn't sound too bad until you consider that there's almost no opportunity for a rest stop anywhere else along the route. Businesses all close for the weekend and roll up their sidewalks for storage. But the biggest challenge is usually the weather. Unless you enjoy riding in cold rain, IMHO you should consider quitting while you're ahead, Beverly. After all, you just missed being treated to an all-day 40F rain on Saturday. Dry TOSRVs are extremely rare - from what I've seen no more than one in ten. Headwinds are required. I've talked with many people who agree with me that TOSRV would be a much better ride if it were held three weeks later, when the instability of spring has quieted down a bit. As it is now, I think they should rename it to "The Columbus/Portsmouth Death Ride."
+1 on above i also rode twice 1993 was last
I did average 18.7 mph for the century one dry day and 15.7 one cold and wet day

note starting at Chil. you rode the nicer half

if you want a excellent ride this time of year
go do the 2 day Horsey 100 mem day weekend

http://www.bgcycling.net/