Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by amaferanga
which is more than most advising you here would do it seems.

I've no problem with the idea of touring Africa by bicycle ... I've had my eye on the Tour d'Afrique for quite a few years ... I just think that the OP could be a bit more prepared for something of the length and challenge that she is planning to attempt.

For example, if she were planning to do this tour in January 2008, and were planning to spend the next YEAR riding her bicycle, taking practice tours, learning how to fix her bicycle, learning how to pack for a cycletour where she won't be staying in any 5 star resorts every night, learning how to pack her bicycle for her flight, and unpack and rebuild it at the other end ........ and all the little details that go into a cycletour of this nature ...... I think she could do the tour quite comfortably and enjoy herself along the way.

However, she has admitted that she is too LAZY to even go for a small practice tour. She hasn't ridden a bicycle, doesn't have the first clue how to fix one, and so much more .... and then is planning an 8 month tour on a continent with a vastly different culture than her own. I suppose if she has an amazing sense of adventure and an extremely positive outlook on everything, she could enjoy the tour .... but here are just a few of the difficulties I see her encountering along the way.

1) Getting the bicycle onto the airplane for the trip over.
2) Putting the bicycle together again once she arrives. There may be no bicycle shops available to help her out.
3) Accommodations, food, etc. Does she have any idea how far she can ride on a bicycle? Does she have any idea how far it is between towns where she can get accommodations or food?
4) Comfort level. If she has never ridden a bicycle (or very little, or a very long time ago), does the bicycle fit? If not, she'll be in agony for the whole tour. Even if it does, she's going to hurt for the first couple weeks till she gets used to riding a bicycle. Riding a bicycle isn't like walking or other sports.
5) Finances. Does she have a large fund available to get her out of trouble if she gets into it along the way? Like greasing the palms of officials at border crossing, bribes, etc.?

If she is bound and determined to do this ... fine ... and I would like to see that website!! But, IMO, I just think she could have a much better time if she put a bit more preparation into the whole thing.