norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ciufalon
The stem is not a Nitto technomic. I thought technomic just refers to a long stem that can raise the bars up. I have a Nitto technomic (not upswept) on my other bike. This stem is just an interesting one I got along the way and really like because it has a very short reach and gets bars up high!

Hmmm... from the last few responses, I guess I will ride the bike a while and see how it feels or grows on me. I had a Miyata 610 that was a size 57 cm and it was just slightly too big at 32.5"-33" standover height. Maybe the differece is that this bike has 700 wheels and the other one had 27" wheels? Could that be it?
Correct me if I'm wrong but "Technomic" is a trade name of Nitto. I've never seen it's use regarding any other brand stem.

27" wheels (as well as bigger tires) would make some difference in standover height. The point is don't let standover hgt. be the main determining factor in bike fit. It's really not that important. A properly sized conventional diamond road-frame bike shouldn't need that much seatpost showing or stem showing to get the bars level with the saddle. Not that a bike slightly too small or slightly too big can't be adapted with seatpost and stem to fit just fine. They can. So many people think nothing of recommending a small frame and adjusting the fit with a longer seatpost and/or stem but recoil in horror at the thought of less seatpost and perhaps a shorter stem.
So if your bike fits, ride it.