View Single Post
Old 05-17-09, 11:14 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=kjc9640;8932648]
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
31.28 miles .... One of my goals met today, I rode the whole G.ville Hawthorne trail.

I hope to do this trail in a week or so zzOtherlandzz. How was it? what were your likes and dislikes? Interesting things to see? Hope you don't mind my asking, thanks.

I don't mind at all. I like the trail because I can just "ride" without having to worry about cars, log trucks, dump trucks and bad attitude drivers on the road. You do cross a few roads but most of the time there is no traffic. Be careful though because as I mentioned in another thread there was a police officer writing tickets for riders that did not stop at one of the stop signs. Another thing I really like is that a LOT of the trail is shaded even in the mid day sun.

At the Hawthorne trail head there is a drinking fountain and some shaded benches, no rest room though. But there is a convenience store and a gas station within a mile of the trail head. There isn't a whole lot to see from the Hawthorne trail head to about mile marker 7 (what I call the middle of the trail). But it is a nice ride with lots of shade and pretty long stretches with no stops. Its also not a crowded as the G.ville end of the trail, where there is usually a lot more walkers, runners, roller bladers and the like.

From about the middle of the trail to Gainesville its a lot more scenic. Between mile marker 4 & 5 there is a pretty cool boardwalk that follows Prairie Creek back a bit. Its a nice spot for a rest.. maybe catch a glimpse of a gator. Once you cross the creek the trail gets a bit more hilly and curvy. There is a nice hill between mile marker 3 & 4, its weird I have ridden the trail a hundred times... and never actually checked to see how long the hill is. If i were to guess i would say a bit over 1/3 of a mile climb, pretty good hill for Florida. Its not just a straight shot up the hill, the trail curves back and forth a few times. Between marker 1 & 2 you can take the Alachua Lake overlook trail (its paved also). Its about a mile long and has a great view of the Paynes Prairie at the end. At the Gainesville trail head there are rest rooms, picnic tables, water faucet. You can also check out the old building built around the springs. There is also another paved trail that will take you into Gainesville proper.

I apologize for being a bit wordy here.... If you need anymore specifics just give me a holler...

DOH!!!!!!! Didn't get a ride in today.... People showed up..... then it rained LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gainsevill trail.jpg (63.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by zzOtherlandzz; 05-17-09 at 11:25 PM.