politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Depending on how much work you can do, want to do, or want to learn how to do there are lots options. What I have found though is that dollars can really add up quickly when you are buying parts.

If you really want IGH and dyno then you could get hubs, rims and build your own wheels.

It would probably be a lot cheaper if you don't go igh and dyno and just simplify

If you want to keep your frame, you could get a set of aluminum rim wheels either from a donor bike or from some place like Niagra Cycles.

Set you self up for single chain ring up front and whatever number of rings works in the back, using a simple thumb shifter.....this will let you use a chain guard. You still have a rear derailer...but it is cheaper.

Get some North/nitto type bars and a stem to make them higher.

what ever seat fits you....I got a b17...but that is bigger budget item

fenders of course

rack and baskets/panniers

go for something like the romisen for your light, simple, lots of light, easy to carry a couple of spare batteries. (search the lighting forum)

I've have done this and it works well for me (I've posted the bike a bunch search this forum for "japanese 8 speed" to take a peek)
Personally I have always felt that cost isn't too much of an issue when it comes to bike-even the old ones. Say I spent $200 to get a set of wheels made. I'm still coming out ahead of what I would typically spend on a car in a given year. If the bike was just going to be a recreational deal, I would probably economize. But transportation?