Thread: Gatorskins
View Single Post
Old 05-19-09, 09:08 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Gatorskins, FTW! I love 'em for my commuter/brevet bike. The 28mm version is cushiony enough for really long rides (300k) over bad roads, but still rolls with a quick enough feel that I'm not struggling to maintain pace.
Armadillos are bombproof, and they're so stiff you can almost use them as run-flat tires if they do ever get punctured. But the tradeoff is a ride quality that feels like rolling bare rims on chip-seal. Numb hands and a numb backside aren't things I want during a 200 - 300k brevet. Heck, I won't even make that sacrifice for my 30mi r/t commute.

Another heavy, puncture resistant, quick rolling tire which has crept its way into my stable is the Vittoria Randonneur Cross. Lower pressure, higher weight, stiffer sidewalls... but I've ridden a pair of 700 x 28s over a few miles of large chunk construction gravel (The stuff they use for truck driveways at build sites and power lines) and didn't have any problems.