View Single Post
Old 05-19-09, 10:05 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by politicalgeek
Personally I have always felt that cost isn't too much of an issue when it comes to bike-even the old ones. Say I spent $200 to get a set of wheels made. I'm still coming out ahead of what I would typically spend on a car in a given year. If the bike was just going to be a recreational deal, I would probably economize. But transportation?
I was going by your previous posts in that you wanted to be careful with your budget. I think that you are looking at a lot more than 200 to have wheels made..... If you look a velo orange a pre built front dyno and an 8sp igh are going to run $360 total. (a Pair of 105 hub freewheel are $195) Pre built wheels are usually less expensive than custom built wheels.

parts (velo orange again) for a front dyno roughly $122 ($36 rim, $50 hub, $36 for spokes)

Building your own wheels as an option is totally doable (especially with a coop)

I am not trying to disuade you from igh/dyno....just noting that not going igh/dyno is cheaper.