View Single Post
Old 05-20-09, 08:34 AM
dirtfish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Forecast Calls for RAIN

My first race is this Saturday-Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO, 47 miles, 5,700 feet of climbing, 10,800 ft. max. elevation. The basic route is: long gradual climb, plateau, long steep climb, big descent, long steep climb, long steep descent to finish. The forecasts I've looked at vary from 50 to 70% chance of rain (and snow), start time temps in the 40s in town, colder up high.

The organizers will shorten or cancel the race if the weather is too bad: last year’s race was canceled due to snowy roads at the higher elevations.

So, assuming the event goes off, what’s a guy to wear in anticipation of getting wet in this event? Full raingear seems way too much for climbing like this but avoiding hypothermia would be nice.

I have very little experience riding in the rain and no experience racing-my current wardrobe plan is: ss underarmor, ss jersery, 2 pairs arm warmers, vest, bibs, knee warmers, wool socks, toe covers, liner gloves, regular gloves, cycling cap, helmet, amber glasses. None of this is rainproof, but should insulate until completely soaked through...? The wind vest should keep the core temp up as long as the body is working...? Does anyone have any advice on this or suggestions?

(For the record, my attitude is that this event is for and about the climbing. I’m not a speed freak and even on dry roads wont be hammering the descents)