View Single Post
Old 05-21-09, 10:52 AM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropdeadchedd
Hi, I just learned how to ride a bike this weekend at the ripe old age of 20. I used to live in a place with terrain that was just about the opposite of conducive to learning to ride a bike, and now I live on a very populated street of Boston which is just as scary. I have literally ridden a bike once, out in a suburb with my boyfriend. My dad is dropping off a new bike for me today (he tells me it's a cheap, old mountain bike).

I don't really know how to practice. I've considered riding on the streets late at night when there are no cars on the road, but I don't like to be out by myself that late. I am not coordinated enough to stay on a sidewalk, much less avoid pedestrians. I have no other means of transportation besides on foot or on the T (subway). I suppose I could bring a bike on one but it would be very inconvenient and inconsiderate for for others.

Basically, I am at the skill level of about a five year old, with no one to teach me, and in sort of a dangerous area. I don't even really know where to start.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve that will not risk my life at the hands of Boston drivers? I am kind of on my own here and I would like to get better so that I can go for rides with my boyfriend (but he lives too far away for me to be able to see him often enough to get the practice I need if I were to leave the bike at his place and only do it when I see him. He usually comes to see me).

Any advice would be appreciated. I am a blank slate!
Hi, I would suggest that you contact a local bike shop and see if they conduct 'beginner rides' or, if they don't, ask if they can give you a contact person for a local club.

I began riding a bicycle in 1946 and have been 'Car-Free' for 5 years and I have to tell you, I agree with you when you say:-

"I've considered riding on the streets late at night when there are no cars on the road, but I don't like to be out by myself that late."

Good luck and best wishes to you.