Old 05-22-09, 06:29 AM
enine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
That's an interesting comment. And I can appreciate the apparent logic that supports the idea that the chemical "state" or status of the battery would slow and therefore retain whatever condition it was in at time of freezing. Of course this begs yet another possible premise, that if indeed you can freeze batteries to successfully retain a particular chemical status - then what is the outcome for the batteries to cycle through their intended chemical changes necessitated during load.

In other words - repeatedly preserving "shelf life" status could interfere with or damage the batteries to completely [de]ionize. Ok, enough into geekdom -but I appreciate the thoughts.

Here's the situation, if I have a cheap Energizer trickle charger, and a slightly better Radio Shack quick charger with a "stop charging" sensing circuit, which charger is better to "re-top off" batteries that have sat around for a week or more - but have never been discharged by use?

I understand you never really want to top off batteries that are already charged...... which charger provides the safer way to maintain my 16 battery collection?

What kind of NiMH's are they, old fashioned or the newer low self discharge? I run low self discharge (sanyo eneloop) in everything now and top them off after each use or every 6 months. Then about once a year a run ana anlyze cycle to see where they are at, it replaces one of the 6 month top off cycles. Anything non eneloop now I'm just using in kids toys and those get charged whenever the toy slows down or dies, they are all older, some 10 years now so I don't care if they get any kind of maintenance or not. Good quality NiMH's need very little maintenance, just just top off and check mine so I know they are always ready.