View Single Post
Old 05-22-09, 06:30 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by nauboone
I am thinking about building a travel bike with a Shimano Nexus 8-speed rear hub. And I want to use S&S couplers on the frame, so that I can put it in a suitcase. And travel to fantastic places far away, like, the Czech Republic... in September 2009!

I know that with S&S couplers I have to install a cable splitter on the cable connecting the shifter to the rear hub, in order to take the bike apart.

Is there any potential shifting problem with doing this? I am afraid that after connecting and dis-connecting the cable many times that maybe the shimano nexus will not shift correctly anymore.

Has anyone out there tried doing this? thanks.
Should not be a problem as long as you know the adjustment proceedure and verify adjustment after assembly. It's a simple proceedure, and something anyone riding a Nexus hub should have a handle on.
If it were mine though, I think I would forgo the cable splitter and just disconnect the cable at the cassette joint. That may entail carrying a few zip ties to re secure the cable housing after assembly, but I never travel without a supply of those anyway.