Old 05-22-09, 09:45 AM
suzyq2463

Bikes: Trek Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a Trek Navigator - Have Buyer's Remorse

Hi, I'm new here and this may be the wrong thread to post in--if so, newbie apologies.

In March I bought a Trek Navigator. My family and I had gone to our local bike store, and the saleswoman talked me into the Navigator, which I hesitated buying because it looks like an "old lady" bike to me. I road a Trek mountain bike (but only one) and found it uncomfortable, but now I wonder if I should've tried several. The saleswoman suggested the Navigator because of its more upright configuration (I have lower back pain) and its "hybrid" qualities (we do old railway trails on our RV trips).

But, I'm unhappy with it. I can't get any speed on it and it just feels sluggish. It is comfortable, I suppose, and I love the gear shift mechanism, but it just doesn't seem sporty enough.

I doubt (at 44) that I'll become a real mountain biker, but I wonder if I should sell my Navigator and look at mountain bikes. Street bikes look great for speed, but I don't think I'd be able to go on trails (even simple ones). I can't seem to find a Trek "hybrid," so I'm assuming the mountain bike is the best choice. There are so many of those, I'm not even sure where to start.

I realize you get these "what bike should I buy" questions often in this forum, and I'm just adding to them. But any sage advice would be much appreciated.

Susan

P.S. Anyone want a barely used Navigator?