View Single Post
Old 05-23-09, 12:28 PM
redal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agoodale
At a local crit last weekend a team managed to sweep the podium by creating a 4 man break with 3 team members and 1 rider from another team. The 3 team members managed to force the other rider off the back after a few laps into the break.

My question is what should/could that lone rider have done to stay in the break?

Watching them in the break it appeared that the odd man out was taking turns pulling. My thought was that he should have just sat on their wheel and conserved energy for their attempts to drop him. Perhaps he also could have attempted to drop their weakest rider off the back. He even could have played around with the break forcing it to fail. Am I correct?

BTW the pack really screwed up by letting the break go. It never should have been allowed to start.
I didn't see the race. I do know that 4-7th places were all junior riders on junior gears. If they were the only ones interested in racing besides the 3 guys up the road, they were at a definite disadvantage in the tailwind section.