Old 05-23-09, 11:30 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by knzn
Got up this morning with ideas of a personal best ride. Fixed a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with honey and blueberrys. I would like it even if wasn't good for you!

Started out nice and easy, beautiful day, mild winds (for Kansas!) and at mile 3.5 started feeling strong.
As I pedaled along the cares of the world started melting away like they do when on a nice ride. At mile 12 I stopped for a short break and a couple of dried apricots. For this days ride it was also my turn around point.

Got back in stride and was feeling really good. Had thoughts of a personal best ride going through my head. Then at mile 18, while on a nice down hill section (again, for kansas!) I heard the POP!

It was on the back and things got a bit jabber wacky as I slowed down and got stopped. Whipped out the cell phone and called the boy and pushed it to a meeting spot.

So----loaded it up and took it to the LBS. My bike is a stock Trek 1000 with Alexrims AT450 rims. It is not hard to do a search and find many opinions that these are not great Clyde rims and spokes. I hover around 235-240. This happened on my 350th mile on the bike. It had a few mile on it when I got it, but not many. I discussed the possibilty of doing an upgrade while at the shop and was pretty much talked out of it. Yes, I could have insisted, but didn't know what to insist on! Anyway I left it with them just to replace the broken spoke and retrue.

Now I am having second thoughts. Should I see how things go and see if this is going to be a regular thing, or upgrade now? Asking a question like this always gets answers all accross the board, but would like to see everyones thoughts on the situation.
Thanks!
If you break A spoke, get it replaced and get the wheel re-tensioned. If it makes a habit of breaking spokes, get the shop to replace all of the spokes in the wheel, and get them to tension the spokes properly. If you still have problems with breaking spokes, then you should think about replacing the wheel, and don't get it from that same shop. Not all bicycle mechanics know the proper tension for a wheel.