View Single Post
Old 05-26-09, 02:45 PM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
I attribute most of my weight loss to running but sometime late in 2007 I discovered bicycles again. I've always had a bike in the garage with all good intentions but never really rode it.

I mountain biked at lunch for a couple years when working at 29 Palms Marine Base in the desert in CA.

But at any rate here I am now barely using a car at all. Today I have to float over to another island via ferry and I tried to find a way to bike up to the port to work but I just couldn't crack the code so now I have to drive.

In 2003 I was a 300 lb'er and now weigh either just above or just below 190 depending on how the stars are lined up.

I haven't cracked the century code yet but keep wanting to bag a metric century. For the most part it's more about time than anything. I find one or two 2-3 hour bike rides a week very adequate exercise for my lifestyle with several 45min to 1 hour runs and lots of utility cycling.

In short, for me, that's enough. I've been contemplating going for 170 and maybe even 160 but I don't know if I wanna be a stick man or not. Things are pretty well where they are. The loose skin will only get looser and I've had some success tightening up with a couple yoga sessions per week.

It's not about the weight loss for me now as much as it's about the exercise and stress relief it provides. Getting ready to move here in a couple months from Okinawa to mainland Japan and moving is never easy. Lots of variables in this move as well.

John