View Single Post
Old 05-26-09, 05:47 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two summers ago I started a tour on the Northern Tier. I left my brother's house in Edmonds, Washington and rode about 15 miles. Suddenly I got this sick feeling that I had left my ACA maps at his house. I searched, didn't find them, called my sister-in-law, she couldn't find them, then I searched my panniers again. They were stuffed in the bottom of the 4th pannier I checked. Aargh!

Last year I took a training ride on the way to the start of my summer tour. I took my Topeak Road Morph pump off the bike and set it on the bumper of my truck so I could put the bike on the rack. Yes, I drove off with it on the bumper. I discovered my loss the next day and 300 miles north.

I ordered a replacement via next-day air. I wouldn't want to start a tour without the ability to fix a flat.

Most everything else I'd replace along the way and grumble a lot. I agree about the Swiss Army Knife. I now have two identical - the one I misplaced and found later, and the one I bought to replace the misplaced one when I couldn't live without it.