Old 05-26-09, 10:43 PM
bam
None

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Ascent (Mac software for garmin GPS) has a smoothing feature that takes out tiny bumps and makes the elevation gains much more realistic.
ooh, thank you. that is exactly the piece of software i was looking for. much better ui than the stuff the garmin came with. seems like it's well worth the $40.

but even with whatever smoothing algorithm it employs the data collection with regards to elevation will be off (trilateration vs. calibrated air pressure ~ i know of no personal radar based system). and personally, i'm totally ok with that. it's more than good enough for my uses. mostly want to track where i've gone and what kind of progress i'm making.

i'm not sure what motion based does, but it's quirky to say the least. after importing my data from garmin connect into motion based, and motion based subsequently reimporting the data back into garmin connect (jeez way to go guys) i noticed they not only did some sort of smoothing of elevation, but also altered heart rate readings.. i don't really get how the latter works, but whatever..