Old 05-27-09, 08:27 AM
droptop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to a local bike shop and see if you can find an older used wheel, 32x spokes 3 cross, and a quality hub (most likely a deore or better) and a double walled rim. you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply, or get a lbs to build one cheap.

if having one built from scratch, deore hub to a sun cr-18 should be a good, economical choice, allowing a variety of tire sizes to be used (from 25c to 40c). also consider the salsa delgado cross rim for a little more weight savings, at a higher price. since you are riding a hybrid, i would avoid the mavic cxp-33 and open pro, as well as the velocity deep-v, because they are designed around using narrow racing tires. it will be fairly light, and if you want to save weight for some reason, you can go with a lighter hub, LX or XT for a little more coin. I have had the cr-18 or its equivalent on mountain bikes, and always been pleased. friends use them on fixed gears hopping curbs and pogoing, and they are very strong. same with the delgado cross rims (will be on my cross/commuter bike when i get it built).