Old 05-27-09, 07:32 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have gone through several long stretches where I maybe only road the bike a few times/month and then only in the spring or fall. Each time I got back into it it was harder. This past time it was after my move to NY - I did not ride much for two years. What I found was about a 5 or 6 mile ride was all I could do at first. Then 12, then 18 and so on. I would never try to go for speed at first until I am capable of doing about 30 miles without feeling so tired at the end I wanted to just take a nap. But I pushed myself to get to that distance within a few weeks. Then I would start striving for speed on shorter rides of 6 to 12 miles.

So just take it easy at first - and always keep it fun. Always make sure to not take off and leave your wife, make it fun for her to - she may say yes in a year or so when you ask if it's OK to buy that custom made TI Serotta with the Super Record group.

As far as the seat - it's gonna hurt for a while. If after about 6 weeks and a few trys at seat adjustment *(tilt, fore & aft and even handle bar height) you can't progress because your rear hurts it's time to start looking at new seats.

Welcome to you next adiction.