Old 05-28-09, 11:03 AM
cycle16v

Bikes: Cannondale, Giant, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David Feherty at Byron Nelson last Saturday

For those of you who don't know David Feherty is not just a former pro golfer but is a big cycling advocate who lives in Dallas.

So, there I was on the 17th hole, sitting right next to where the players walk over to the 18th, and he was sitting "right there!!" My girlfriend didn't know what I was so excited about and was just watching me intently on why I was so apprehensive.

Well, I gave her some background about him, living in Dallas, rides around White Rock Lake, getting hit twice while on his bike, etc., and told her I wanted to say "thanks" or something to that effect for promoting safer cycling because I read an article about him Bicycling Magazine and our local public radio station (KERA - Think show) interviewed him on his cycling advocacy.

Unfortunately, though, he got up so quick and headed off to the next hole, I missed my chance. My girlfriend asked, "What were you going to tell him?" Well, I told her, I guess I'm a cyclist too and just thanks for being an advocate for cycling in the DFW area. She laughed and said, "well, that would have worked."

In any case, I figured I'd share the story with you and ask you-

What would you have said to David?

Have you ever met a cycling celebrity and gave them any thanks for their support? What did you say? What did they say back?

Now that I think about it, I didn't even once consider getting an autograph! I just wanted to say thanks! LOL!!