Old 06-01-09, 06:43 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jboyd
Ok, I don't have pictures this time, but this was one of my best weekends for riding this year.

Warning! If you are on a diet don't read this. Not that I shouldn't be, but many times my reward for riding is a treat

Anyway, Saturday morning was raining and damp, but by mid afternoon a cool front passed and everything dried up and the rest of the weekend was that bright blue sky with white puffy clouds that are so rare around here, and after a full week of rain, it was welcome.

Saturday late afternoon I took off from the house and did a very leisure 20 miles of all hills south and east in the county. I took a route that took me past many old friends and some family. Literally everyone that I knew along the route was out in their yards, so this was a very social ride. I would stop and chat in about fifteen minute breaks. This made the 20 miles take about three hours. It was great and the ride, because I rested about every thirty minutes seemed effortless. So, when I got home, I pulled the two rib eye steaks out that I had marinating along with a pound of asparagus and headed to the grill. This was served along with tomato avocado salad and washed down with a Fullers ESB

About 11pm, my wife falls asleep and I was itching to get back on the bike. I sent an email to my wife that I was out riding (this is how we leave notes). It was a beautiful, dry, bright star night. The moon was reflecting off the clouds and it was great. I rode 10 miles around town (several times). At midnight, I buzzed around 4 different taverns as they were closing. What fun. The drunks came out and started yelling at me and wanting rides I love riding in the dark. Since I don't have a true sense of speed, I never have the feeling I am going slow. You know that feeling you get when you are on a long incline and your legs burning and it is magnified by seeing your computer at 7mph. None of that in the dark.

So, Sunday rolls around and it was prettier than Saturday. I packed a full cookout picnic and told my wife to meet me at 6:30 pm at a state park 23 miles away. I took off and rode county back roads and gravel for 23 miles and arrived at our agreed park shelter about 2 minutes before her. When I arrived, I re hydrated with a celebratory Fat Tire Beer. We grilled smoked turkey sausage and had potato salad, dill pickles, Cheetos (the puffs), and we split a 2-pak of Hostess Cupcakes (YES!!!!! Hostess Cupcake We ate and watched the sun set. Great ride.

I hope y'all had a great weekend too.
Not me, here it has been horrible, Saturday it rained, pretty much all day, was cold and the wind never dropped below 35km/h all weekend. Got a whole 7,5km on the trainer on Sunday, before I gave up. My 2nd cousin posted on facebook that it was snowing where she was Sunday morning, and it's only about 30km south of Algonquin Provincial Park.