Old 06-02-09, 12:13 PM
emcee2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a followup

Hi... my followup after the trip.

Well, we had a great trip, the weather was ideal; not too hot. I'm glad I borrowed a mountain bike - it was actually outfitted with those larger "29er" tires. I think I could have done the sections of trail we did that day on my cross bike with appropriate tires - but I'm happy I didn't opt for that. In fact, with the larger tires set to a slightly soft pressure, I found that I was most comfortable with the shocks set close to lockout (but maybe that's just because I have little experience with a suspension bike).

Anyway, a van with trailer took (10 of) us from Naramata around the lake, up through Summerland etc., through Kelowna and up the back side of whatever that mountain is and dropped us high up at a parking lot in what I think was the Myra-Bellevue provincial park.

Off we went; it was a little cool to start but that soon passed. Given the tracks I saw in what to us was dry trail bed I can only assume that it might be a bit sloppy in wet conditions. Once past the trestles we ended up on what is now (I presume) forestry road - not much for motor vehicles save 1 dirt bike rider and some other vehicles near Chute Lake. We saw maybe 6 other cyclists the whole trip. Bit of a slog to Chute lake, and that really was only because the road was quite sandy in places. From Chute lake down to Naramata was in pretty good shape - nice that it was mostly all downhill which was good as we had a large mix of people and even though I ride regularly my butt was happy to get off the saddle for some stretches while we descended. I believe we did the whole trip - which I think was about 70 or 75K in length (not sure, had problems with the cycling computer) in about 6 hours... Wasn't even sore the next day.