Old 06-02-09, 02:08 PM
fast_track

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Schwinn Paramount 1988, Cannondale CAAD9 5, Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TIRE CHOICE for Great Allegheny Passage / C&O Canal Trails

I am looking for a set of all around tires for city use that will also be suitable for use on the Great Allegheny Passage / C&O Canal trails (riding a Surly Cross Check). Planning an end to end trip on these two trails. I have no experience with the trail conditions on either of these routes, but understand it to be a combination of surfaces. I won't have a chance to see the trail before hand as I live in New York.

Tires would need to be 700c size, not 26'. I have a set of Conti Contacts in 28 and like the tread pattern but fear the width will be too narrow. I was considering either the same Contacts in 32 or the Vittoria Randonneur Cross tires in a 32. I weigh about 200lbs with approx 30lbs of gear. Will be CC touring the route.

It just isn't clear to me from my research what the majority of the trail condition is on these routes. I am hoping to stay at 32c, anything larger and I would not likely keep running it while back on pavement in NY and don't really feel like buying two sets of tires right now.

Would any standard touring tire do or do I need to consider something wider and with more tread?

If I wasn't planning on using them on this trail I would probably be looking a the regular Vittoria Randonneurs or the Panaracer Pasela TG's in 32c. I just don't think either of those two choices would offer the grip I am assuming I will need for this ride.

If you have ridden either of these two trails and have a suggestion please let me know.