Old 06-03-09, 07:14 PM
tommyortom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shecky
If you wish, go for it. Certainly doable.

I wouldn't bother with a new crank. It'll likely cause some headache, cost you at least $50 (crank arms, funky BB/adapter, chainwheel), you'll still have to deal with chainline issues and all you'll get is a loss of about one pound. Those old Schwinn one piece cranks pretty much never go bad. They just work.

The ss freewheel will look nicer, for sure. They don't usually cost too much. 16t is probably the smallest you'll be able to use, if that suits your gearing needs with your existing sprocket.

Definitely get a new chain. Any will do, even the cheap Walmart clamshell packed ones. Even if you do nothing else but get a new chain and brake, you'll end up with a bike that will last forever with minimal maintenance.
well if i can get away with using the existing crank ill do that. ill need a new chainwheel...that one on there is a 39t. do they make chainwheels that will fit onto that style crank? i would just like to put a good set of new parts on this thing though...nothing top end, just good enough to ride around. im looking to spend 150-200 most likely. (freewheel, crank/bb, chainring, pedals, brakes, seat.)

anyone happen to know what year this bike is? might help me hunt down some people with the same bike who have done a conversion. i just want to make sure i can get my chainline good.