Old 06-04-09, 10:03 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColorChange
1. You don't think Psyco was quite a bit slow with his warning? I saw him look left so I looked right. Right was clear and by the time he finally yelled car, actually I think you beat him to it, ... I made a snap judgment that it was better to cross than jam the brakes.
2. I didn't cross the finish line till I let a couple guys pass me. And I had to wait a looooooong time. No cheating wins for me.
3. Yes, you're right I should slow down more approaching intersections ... and I'll try.
1) It's not up to anyone else to get you to look both ways at a crossing. If you're up at the front --which both of you were-- then you are each responsible for yourselves. It's a courtesy that the riders up front holler out 'slowing' or 'stopping' at an intersection, but ultimately it is up to each rider to be paying attention at all times.

Hell, I didn't hear either of you before I heard the cars coming and I was at least 20 feet behind you guys.

2) This is completely irrelevant. You had to "wait a looooooong time" because you started hammering when you saw the rest of us waiting for four cars to pass. This ain't about winning a sprint. It's about getting back to the start safe as we possibly can by using our heads, eyes, and ears.

3) Like I said after the ride.... If you want to get hit by a car through your own carelessness, that's fine. Just don't inconvenience the rest of us by doing it on a group ride. (This was said partly in jest and partly because I don't want any of us hit.... ever)

I'm not trying to start a whizzing contest here, but just hope you can realize that as much as we look out for each other that ultimately we have to individually look out for our own safety by avoiding these situations. In addition (and in my opinion), it also helps the whole extended cycling family when cars see us yielding to their right of way.