Old 06-04-09, 11:14 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Sure will. You should post a WTB ad in craigslist, that is how that guy got the Phillips from me.
You never know
I have, (twice on each now) but all I got from both (my city is between two large ones) was a single email from a guy who had one he'd sell me for $20.

When he realized I was actually interested, he told me there were no handlebars or stem.

I told him I could replace those. When did he want to meet up?

He never replied.

My day off, I write him, ready to buy it, go to the store for handlebars, and ride it around happily in circles. The e-mail reply:

"uhh sorry i asked my grandma and its hers and she didnt want to sell it"

So.

Yep. Besides, varsities go for $150 here. My CL isn't chep, it's a lot of people trying to make money fast. Not people trying to free up space. *sigh* But I continue this quest.

Originally Posted by gbalke
You could do like I did and build your own. Found a frame on e-Bay for almost nothing and had it stripped
and powder coated black.
Your bike came out great, man! Does it have a thread here on bikeforums? Now, did you just buy the frame, then get the hub and clipon parts, and cottered cranks? Or how'd you go about it?

It came out really well, but I do think I'd like to buy a finished one. All my bikes are refinishes, restorations, etc, and I really want something legit. You know, so I can say, "yeah, this is my Phillips- from 1958! Something about a nice slow bike from pre-1980 appeals to me.

-Nick