Old 06-04-09, 04:02 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I almost "T-Boned" a Taurus today...aka Brake Dancing

Riding in to work the night shift this afternoon on my Mtn. Bike / commuter (I only use the recumbent on the day shift) and some day-dreamer turns left into a driveway directly in front of me.

Now I hate my job and everything associated with it so you can imagine I don't generally move along too quickly going to work, maybe 12 to 14 mph as a rule. So this fellow in his 30's starts from a standstill along the side of a quiet residential street and procedes to turn left right in front of me. And they say DF's are more visible than 'bents! Now he noticed me after he had commited to the turn and instinctivly did what all drivers do in an impending crash...he stopped, right in front of me. I had to grab the binders quite hard to keep from hitting his passenger door, hard enough that the back end unweighted a little bit. I'm fortunate I was just poking along and no harm was done, just a close call.

The driver offerd what sounded like an insincere appology but I wasn't man enough to graciously accept it. Instead I just looked quizickly at him and shrugged with my palms turned upward as in a silent WTF?
My bad, I should have taken the opportunity to exchange a pleasentry with the man but I didn't.

It seems like there was a lot of traffic today and I know there were many accidents, in fact my workmate witnessed a youg lady in her SUV as she anihilated the poor guy who was stopped in traffic in front of her. Those SUV's are awfully big, I hope she didn't drop her cell phone as it could take forever to find it in there!