View Single Post
Old 06-04-09, 10:25 PM
merlin55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I should point out that I wasn't advocating a particular course of action. I was merely observing that a case could be made. If there's been an amicable resolution, that's cool with me. Obesity and obese individuals, though are a group that almost all of society not only feels entitled to discriminate against, it's actively done.

We're currently running studies in the Social Psychology dept at Purdue on this very issue, and are finding that most people view obesity as a moral issue, regardless of cause (Medical, behavioral, or whatever). They assume it's the obese individuals fault, and punish them for it.
Ok, I'm not obese, never have been. However, I have never punished anyone for being obese, nor have I punished people that smoke, or those with body art. I believe that people have the right to make decsions, even ones I would not make, provide they are willing to enjoy or suffer or pay for the results of their choices. I have discussed the obesity problem with a physican doing research on the increasing rate of obesity in the USA, his statement was that in general the problem was lack of excercise and excessive eating. The OP has weight problem, has taken responsibility to improve his health. Hats off to him. At first blush the Gym guy sounded like a jerk, but with all the details sounds like, they weren't really out of line. Perhaps a discount for a few months would have been a nicer way to deal with the issue. To the OP, hopefully you can take your walks outdoors for a few months and keep up the good work.