Old 06-05-09, 03:29 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xrageandfearx
Okay, My friend has about 30 bikes sitting in his garage and backyard. They are all different sizes. My plan was/is to convert them, powder coat them random colors. I can do the powder coating at a friends house. But my whole deal is i dont want to rip people off. I would probably put up a ad on craigslist for custom conversions or something like that. My price was to sell them for about 350 each. Really if any one has any good suggestions please lay them out. I need to make 5000 dollars in like 6 months. So yeah that is the main reason for my quick money making idea.
if i may be so bold as to do a little math... if you sell 30 bikes at $350 each, you will need to make a profit of $166.67 on each bike to end up with a net profit of $5,000. This leaves you $183.33 of the $350 to spend on each bike. If you spend $183.33 on each bike, however, you would have spent $5,500 to do the builds, so why not just take that money and pay off whatever you need $5,000 for?

so lets say you don't need to spend $183.33 on each bike... lets talk bare minimum. lets say you spend $75 on each bike, all you get is a cheap rear wheel, every other piece of the bike is the same. now you've spent $2,250 to put rear wheels on 30 bikes, and in order to make a $5,000 profit on top of your investment, you would need to sell these bikes for at least $242 each. Are these bikes with some fresh paint/powdercoating and a new fixed rear wheel going to sell for $242? You tell me.

so what about somewhere in the middle. using the same math, to make a $5,000 profit, if you spend $100 per bike, you spend $3,000 and you need to sell them for at least $267. if you spend $125 per bike, you spend $3750 and you need to sell them for at least $292. if you spend $150 per bike, you spend $4,500 and you need to sell them for at least $317.

just food for thought...