Old 02-12-05, 04:46 PM
PdxMark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear lights: Vistalite Total Eclipse vs. Viewpoint Flashpoint

I recently picked up a couple new rear lights: a Vistalite Total Eclipse (7 LEDs) and a Viewpoint Flashpoint from Performance (9 LEDs). I turned them on side-by-side and was amazed at the difference.

I am dogmatic about being highly visible on my bike at night. One reason my commuter bike has a Niterider system is the 19 LED Niterider rear light. But I sometimes don't want to lug my Niterider battery around, like on brevets. So after studying all the lights available at a couple LBSs last year I settled on a pair of Vistalite Total Eclipse lights for my brevet bike. In addition to being pretty bright, the I like that I can mount the Vistalites to my chain stays.

But I saw a Performance Viewpoint Flashpoint on another commuter bike and got one to compare.

WOW!

The Viewpoint is several TIMES brighter than the Vistalite. It has an amazingly large spot size. The Viewpoint is a more traditional configuration and doesn't have the mounting options that the Vistalite does, but it is amazingly bright. The Viewpoint also has a built-in CPSC reflector, which is a good thing for complying with some brevet rules. The Viewpoint case conveniently opens with a coin while the Vistalite inconveniently requires a small Philips screw driver.

I wanted to take a photo for comparison, but I don't have my camera here. I may take a photo as a follow-up.