View Single Post
Old 02-12-05, 05:42 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hooligan
Ahhh....Okay then. How should I rinse the chain off if I don't have a hose? Also, I just lubed it, before rinsing the stuff off (i let the degreaser sit for about 3 minutes, then wiped it off, a ton). Then, I lubed it, but only before I read raiyn's post. I'll do what raiyn does next time. *grumble* Now ill have to go get a chain remover which are over 10 bucks (because I dont have a hose)....grumble. or maybe I could use a super soaker.
The super soaker's not a bad idea. Here's the rest of my method:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You'll need a few things.
  1. A SRAM power link (makes chain removal a snap)
  2. A plastic container (I'm partial to Country Time Lemonade powder containers but 20 ox Pepsi bottles work well with the wise mouth)
  3. Some degreaser (Simple Green works well as does the dollar store's Awesome Qrange))
  4. A toothbrush (One that you no longer use for your teeth)
  5. Water
  6. A large rag of some kind
Remove the chain place it in the container fill the container 1/2 to 3/4 full of degreser seal and shake for a minute or five. Remove the chain. Use the brush to get any residual gunk off (there won't be much) Rinse the chain using water. Proceed to do a general drying of the chain using the towel (doesn't have to be perfect as you'll let the rest air dry) Reinstall and relube