I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Yep, that's right. My girlfriend and I get to go to Amsterdam for spring break. What more could a bike commuting college kid want? We will get to spend a whole week in Europe and visit a few friends in Germany and France also. I've never been to Europe so it should be a blast. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do in Amsterdam or what to see (other than the obvious )?
1. Unbelievable colors of fields of Tulips and the aroma of hyacinths within an hour of Amsterdam:
My wife and I with our 3 children (7, 7, and 10 at the time) rode our bikes for several days in the Lisse area in 1989; best bike trip ever.

http://www.keukenhof.nl/

Spring cycling tour to Keukenhof

Nestled in the Netherlands’ bulb growing region, Noordwijk is one of the country’s most picturesque towns in the spring. It is also the starting point for the 25-kilometre spring cycling tour to the beating - or rather blooming – heart of the region: the Keukenhof garden park in Lisse. Vast, colourful fields of hyacinths, daffodils and tulips line the route to the park, which hosts the world’s most famous bulb flower exhibition as well as alternating flower shows in covered pavilions.

The spring cycling tour departs from the VVV Holland Rijnland Tourist Office in Noordwijk. Before heading out, we will begin with coffee and pastries (and soft drinks for the children) at a cosy cafe along the boulevard. The tour passes along bulb fields and bulb sheds (where bulbs are peeled and dried) and on through Noordwijkerhout on its way to Keukenhof.

Tickets: € 17,50, children aged 4 through 11 € 11,50. The price includes the cycling tour, coffee/pastry and admission to Keukenhof. The spring cycling tour will run daily from 24 March till 20 May 2005. Ticket sales: Monday till Sunday from 10:00 to 13:00 hours at the VVV Holland Rijnland Tourist Office in Noordwijk. Address: de Grent 8. Reservations only necessary for bicycle rentals (not included in ticket price). Tel: + 31 (0) 71- 3619321.

2. Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. I visited it every time I was in Amsterdam - superb!

3. Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo (1½ -2 hours east by car from Amsterdam for lots more Van Gogh, Sereut and others, beautiful large grounds with free bikes to ride around.