View Single Post
Old 06-08-09, 05:48 PM
Kendeathwalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Wheel Build- Slight Problem

Did a quick search and nothing turned up.

So here's my issue. Just built up my first rear wheel and took it out for a spin and noticed that the tire will slightly rub the left side of the frame when going through turns etc..

Here's a visual to show how tight the fit is.

Dont know if this is necessary but heres how much space the drive side has

(I looked at a couple other bikes and I can see this is very wrong.. but generally on the rear wheel the drive side has more room right?)

So I dont have a truing stand, dish stick or tensiometer so I built the wheel up in the rear triangle and trued it up by taping q-tips to the frame. Before I took it out for a ride I stopped by LBS and had a mechanic check it. He told me everything looked great, he checked the radial/lateral trueness and the tension with a tensiometer. Unfortuantely he did not check the dishing.. I think thats what my problem is? The dish is off? To correct this problem ill need to tighten the drive side spokes (say 1/2 turn) and slightly loosen the non drive spokes(say 1/8-1/4 turn)?

I tried to check the dishing when I was building it up by reversing the wheel in the frame and then seeing if it lined up in the same spot between my q-tip truing feelers but it was a little difficult to get the wheel out of the frame with out slightly knocking them askew..

Its not a fat tire as its just a 2.0 and I never had this issue with my last wheel.

On a different note Im having one hell of a time getting my front deralieur to shift between the first and middle chain ring properly. I can get it to shift smoothly in the stand but when im on the bike It wont shift back down to the first ring. I let up on the tension just a little and it is really sloppy climbing back up to the second ring. Not sure if any one here can offer me advice I haven't already read about, just putting it out there in case..

I appreciate any advice any one cares to give me. I felt really good about my first wheel build being "approved" by the LBS.. then felt like a dumb **** when the tire started rubbing the frame.. Very frustrating process.