Old 06-10-09, 07:21 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Self update. I put them on, replacing knobbies, and promptly had to re adjust the direct pull brakes (is that normal? One side was rubbing when it wasn't before). After sorting that out for the time being, here are my observations.

The Selecta tire, while not a name I was able to find much about, comes standard on a few bikes that I googled like Cannodale (a hybrid of some kind, and a KT). There is no tread direction on the sidewall, but the tread pattern is actually a series of forward facing arrows-how cool is that?. They have an inverted tread, and mine are 26x1.75.

Worth mentioning is the reflective sidewall was not applied evenly on mine-this caused some consternation after I mounted them and aired them up because they didnt look even.

Sidewall pressure is 65lbs, but I found a few internet sites that listed them at 75(?). I have them at 65 right now. Not a very harsh ride, but one HELL of a speed increase. I average about 35-40 minutes for 6 miles to work and I got here today in 30, riding mostly paved MUP. They roll much faster than what I had on there before.

They have a Kevlar belt, and are 27 TPI (how that stacks up to other budget kevlar tires Ill leave to others to comment on). I don't know the thickness of the rubber, or how they wear yet, but for 22.00 I won't complain. Wire bead, but they were pretty easy to get on my rims with my hands right up to the last 4-5 inches.