View Single Post
Old 06-10-09, 10:29 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormclad
But,

Super fast fold and lack of adjustment make the bike easier to manage, plus being able to roll it single handedly. - The fold is admittedly faster and simple than a brommie, but the bike seems to lose the ability to hold itself together in it's folded package over time: The metal latches need constant attention to get them back into place so they can catch onto parts of the bike when it folds. The brompton requires no such attention. Its fold stayed in place when I first bought it, and it still holds in places after using it for 1 1/2 years. The tikits catch started giving me problems after 5 months.
My oldest Tikit is 18 months old and has been folded/unfolded countless times. I have adjusted the latching tab that holds it together twice in that time. The adjustment consists of bending the latching tab slightly. The whole procedure takes about 10 seconds - longer than it took me to write this post. My folded bike holds together without any issues.