View Single Post
Old 06-10-09, 11:25 AM
Stormclad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Any chance you have a 2007 model? In 2008 Bike Friday changed the design of the tongue (or as Bike Friday calls it, the "dinosaur") which pops onto the peg and locks the bike together when folded. The new design is far stronger. After a year of abuse mine has been 100% perfect. Though: Vik's got a 2007 and as he noted, it's not a *big* deal to occasionally bend it back.

The only other item I can think of is the little handlebar stem riser catch, which bends. Since September 2008 Bike Friday had the catch made out of metal that's much thicker and I've had zero problems since. They'll mail you a new one, just call them up.

(The only other piece would be the spring steel seatmast catch, but that's relatively robust and trivial to adjust, so I don't think that'd be it.)

I think this claim is largely dependent on the surface. It's true that wheeling the tikit does require some talent: you can either lift it partially, like luggage, or you can balance it on its wheel, which requires a bit of deftness. Thus if you're wheeling the bike around on hard tile or smooth cement, or maybe industrial carpet, the Brompton's very clearly easier. But as soon as you wheel it on a street, rough sidewalk, thick carpet, or dirt or grass -- which I do all the time -- the Brompton becomes poor to unusable. You have to unfold it.

I'd given a bit of thought to how BF might attach a single Brompton-style skateboard wheel to the bottom corner of the front rack on the Tikit, and it'd make the Tikit far more competitive on tile.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. Nope. The tikit was an '08 model and i've got the steel seatmast catch. True, it might not need much work, but should catch failure occur in the middle of a journey that requires folding, I feel that the Brompton's more squarish shaped fold lends itself to easier makeshift securing than the tikit's 'dinosaur', which looks like it needs a mallet and punch to access it. I haven't tried bending it back myself yet, but i'll give it a go.

As for the rolling, I've seen a friend use inline skate wheels to replace brompton's ez wheels, and that has helped him address the street and rough sidewalk usability. But my experience in having to transport the folded bike: Up and down escalators, lifts, subway platforms, shopping streets, the brompton has given me a more positive experience than the tikit. Of course, it would be silly to buy a bike just because it rolled around well when folded......