Old 06-10-09, 04:15 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigboybiker
Everything I read anywhere telss me that when riding I should spin at a high cadence. I'm trying, but I find that this doesn't work well for me. I am much more comfortable at a medium cadence with larger gears. Maybe not a true "gear masher" but I REALLY don't have fast legs. For me it's not just a matter of preference. When I try to spin my lungs end up working twice as hard for the same speed, and the same goes for my lactic acid build up in my legs. Pain happens much faster when spinning quickly than when I use more muscle and push the pedals a bit slower. Anyone else ride the same way? Or should I say have the same problem?

Jerry
The new rider, tends to mash, because they think that they can go faster by using a higher gear. Some riders do this for many years. If you have been riding at 55RPM for years, then trying to suddenly go 90RPM because that's recommended and you just got a computer with cadence, is going to be difficult. One should ride at their normal cadence, if it's way low, say 55RPM, then try boosting it part way, say 60 or 65, then work your way up to the 80-100RPM that is considered the normal range.