Old 06-10-09, 07:48 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I made the normal rookie mistake and was dropped.

I've been riding with different groups in Chicago. I have been avoiding the ones that describe 30 mph plus speeds. The result has been moderate travel in the 16 mph range for the entire ride, including traffic stops. These groups just ride, no pace line is ever maintained. These slower groups have allowed me to rack-up the miles without overtraining, but I've been hoping to find a faster crowd.

Well, I found a faster crowd. The advertise 22 mph pace with some faster travel. The first 20 minutes went well, I stayed with the leaders at a 22 to 24 mph pace. I felt like I could pick up speed as needed. We had a strong cross wind, I should have followed to the left of the riders in front of me. But I was reluctant to ride near the center line, so I sat in the wind for a few miles at around 22 mph.

Needless to say, I was soon running on empty. No longer able to pick-up speed as needed, I was dropped after 15 miles.

I will say I expected it, everyone gets dropped when starting to group ride.

This was this clubs "A" group, their "B" group meets on Monday. I'll be there next week.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.