Old 06-11-09, 10:13 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Thanks for the tips & encouragement. I'm sure I understand the concept of "roll through", could you further explain?

Michael
In really fast pace lines the person leading may only be pulling for 10 to 15 seconds, on more relaxed lines it could me the guy on the front might be there for 2 minutes or longer if he/she is the strongest rider and others rely on his strength to do the lion's share of the work. To "roll through" means that when it's your trun you do not take a pull. As soon as the guy ahead of you completes his pull and rolls off to the left, you make sure he is clear, then signal (elbow flick or whatever the group does to tell the buy behind the pull is done) then pull off to the left and drift back to the rear without taking anytime at the front. Rolling through is even done in races when a team is protecting a teammate or another rider is in a break and wants to slow it down to protect another teammate up the road.

Riding through the whole line will give you the experiance needed to be comfortable in close proximity to other riders who are riding at a different speed than you.