View Single Post
Old 06-11-09, 03:35 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Well the ride didn't go so good today, 5 miles in and started feeling really really bad. Head just pounding felt like I was going to pass out....
Heat Stroke:
"A severe condition caused by impairment of the body's temperature-regulating abilities, resulting from prolonged exposure to excessive heat and characterized by cessation of sweating, severe headache, high fever, hot dry skin, and in serious cases collapse and coma."

It's summertime people! Drink!! BEFORE you NEED it! BEFORE you're thirsty! By then it's too late!

I've lived and coached in the Florida heat all my 35+ years of cycling, and I've always been a BIG proponent of starting to hydrate AT LEAST an hour BEFORE you go out whenever the temp is above 85. You should have a full water bottle in you before you go out the door, (and I don't mean gulped down at the last minute!)

Heat stroke can and does kill, but even in it's milder form, heat exhaustion, it can take as long as a couple of weeks to fully recover from the effects of not taking an hour before the ride to prevent it!

Drink before the ride and every 10 minutes during the ride, even if you're not thirsty!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike