Old 06-11-09, 04:53 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
I think my interpretation of this is: you think the Brompton's single size is preferable because it happens to fit you. But you claim this without even knowing if any of the Tikit's frame sizes will fit you as well. (BTW, the Brompton's frame is about the same as the size-small Tikit). Why in the world would you "swap out" a frame? None of this makes much sense.

As to customization, the Tikit is *far* more customizable than the Brompton. I think the Tikit's sizing and customizability, both from BF and after the fact, is a huge advantage over the Brompton, which doesn't fit me at all (and I'm pretty average for a male).
The tikit did not even exist when I was in the market last for a folder (late 2005). If it did, I would have flown up to Eugene, OR and test rode one for myself if I was trying to choose between the Brompton and the tikit before I bought either one. But I am in the market now for a Montague CX which will be purchased within a year or so as circumstances permit. And as a woman who has longer legs, shorter torso, shorter hands & fingers, I have to be a bit more careful when I actually order a speciality or not well known bike (generally they are nonreturnable). The sizes & specs are a guide, but sometimes I find that bikes that fit some people don't fit others even though they are the same height. The CX's size chart indicates that I fall between 2 sizes. So unless I see the bike in person (like in a bike shop) I would not buy something that may not fit me since I am buying the bike for me, not everyone else.

Trying to unload it on Craigslist or E-bay is not an option for me as I don't like to feel like I am being taken advantaged of or swallowing a loss of a great deal of money because of 'guessing games". I rather pass on purchasing the bike if this is even a remote possibility.

As for customization, I like to do it myself bit by bit as my Brompton shows on my Flickr sites. And the accessories featured are either ones that are non Brompton (like the saddles and the Kool Stop brake pads) or ones I made myself (bags & slipcovers).

Last edited by folder fanatic; 06-11-09 at 04:58 PM.