Newby

Bikes: 09 Diamonback Kalamar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy from Lafayette, IN!

Hey all,

Me and the wife recently started riding bikes as a fun hobby to do with one another. Well, we really loved riding and my $80 Roadmaster wasn't handling the task of our easy going 10 - 15 mile nightly rides. As we were crossing the four lane highway back to our apartment one night, my pedal stripped completely off. I knew right then that I was in need of a new bike, as this one wasn't going to hold up.

Well, I know Diamondbacks are usually not sought after bikes by cyclists, but I absolutely loved my Wife's Wildwood Deluxe. So, with little research I went on a search for a Diamondback. I originally had in mind to pick up a Wildwood, but when I found out that they put the "old school" curved handle bars on the 09 models, I looked elsewhere. That's when I saw the 09 Kalamar...

The shop let me take it for a spin around the parking lot and I fell in love. It's very simple and easy to ride, so I enjoy it very much. Given at the moment that I'm the only one working and in the automotive industry and my wife is in her second year of medical school, it also fit the budget very nicely at $260 after taxes.

I know that as we get much healthier and in better physical conditioning, I'll prob have to buy some new components as they wear out. So, I'll be coming here for advice.

The main reasons we started biking was because I'm too over-weight (but not in bad shape) for affordable health coverage. I'm a 6'0" 275lbs and in dire need to lose approx 50lbs. I enjoy running, but my wife absolutely hates it. So I compromised and now we are riding at the moment approx 10 - 15 miles of constant peddling nightly.

Hopefully this will be and enjoyable stay here at bikeforums and I apologize for the lengthily introduction!

-Cody