Old 06-14-09, 02:02 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by osurxbiker
When in the bike stand I thought that maybe I would be able to see the inline gear indicators ... I may have to stick them right into the cable stops in the headtube and use Nokon cables or something
First off, here's a link to osurxbiker's Flickr photostream slideshow in case y'all are also seeing little question marks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3938603...th/3626268284/

As for the gear position indicator, here are some photos of the one that I installed for my front derailleur.

Installation notes:

1. Don't forget to put a ferrule on the end of the cable housing that goes down into the head tube cable stop.
2. It took a little playing around with the cable length to control the bend so that everything would line up and to keep the XTR indicator caps from popping off or breaking. As you can tell, there's only enough housing between the bars and stops to allow the bars to turn through a nominal 160° arc in front of the tandem, noting that there's no practical reason to have any more than that.
3. I didn't bother with the rear indicator because if I know which chain ring I'm on it's pretty easy to guess if I'm in the bottom, middle or upper cassette sprockets and having the in-line adjusting barrel in that spot was more important.