View Single Post
Old 02-14-05, 03:20 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Squeezy..One of my bike tours was through Normandy...No, the French are unlikely to maintain the American Normandy cemeteries...Reason. the French deeded over those sites to the U.S. and the American flag truly flies over American soil, where the US fallen rest. I have been there...Likely maintained by whatever US agency that maintains military cemeteries.
I agree having riden all thoroughout Normandy...
You will see sites maintained by local governments commerating battle sites where American's died with the American flag flying..with battle plaques speaking of the American dead and what occured here...Stopping at pubs/cafes we sensed nothing but appreciation for what the US did in WWII..
I get sensitive to this issue...We hear of the ocassional demonstration throughout Europe...It is not against the American people. I get sick of having to explain why we do the silly things we do towards the European friends, when they experience anti -European bashing as our friend Marylene did at "Daphne's" restaurant.
..For those rare incidents where our friend can't find "Freedom Fries" in her English -French dictionary...and it makes us embarrased to have to explain. Particularily, when over there we had been treated with nothing but kindness.