View Single Post
Old 06-14-09, 10:45 PM
dangercoyote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Size shouldn't be a problem, but gearing will. It'll be very low unless you have a huge chainring.

I counted 52 teeth..... I think. Is that big enough?

Originally Posted by bonex234
Dahon CSL 2008 is using Nexus 8 speed.
I install Shimano Alfine 8 speed on my Dahon Dream 16". It was done by first LBS and unsuccessfull, then I brought it to second LBS which is very famous as wheel builder.
You have to make sure with your LBS that they can do it before you buy it.

Regarding short spokes, LBS can customize stainless steel spokes for the purpose.

Alfine is very nice. The shifting is smooth. We can do shift when stop at traffic light.
but it's weight is quite heavy.

Weight. That's something I didn't take into consideration. The damn thing already weighs probably 35#-ish. Which hub is the lightest, and how much does the nexus weigh? It sure was a pain carrying it around the store today, until a lone shopping cart abandoned in the canned goods section saved the day.

Another thing, I tired measuring the "not drop outs" and it measured about 120mm (I didn't get a completely accurate measurement because I didn't want to mess with taking the wheel off right then). Could I possibly cram the hub in between the rear triangle, or do I have to cold set it?