View Single Post
Old 06-17-09, 10:30 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Make sure the noise from the bottom bearing isn't actually a pedal.
Already checked and done. It was making noise when hand turned by the crankarm. Unfortunately, the fixed (drive side) cup is seized in the farking shell and refuses to budge. I've got it soaking with WD-40 sprayed in from the opposite side (the nds cup came out OK after a couple of hefty whacks) so hopefully by tomorrow this thing will be loosened up. If I can't remove it tomorrow before work, I'm just taking it to the shop. There is no way in hell anyone used grease or anti-seize compound when assembling this thing. I'm pretty sure it's going to need hit with a torch to get this damned thing out.

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I thought about mentioning that. That would be my thoughts but if I mention components/equipment wearing out sooner due to rain and grit, I will be followed around by a forum stalker and my every comment and/or opinion will be posted in a harrassing manner. Then when I send a filthy threatening message to the stalker/puppet, I will be warned by the mods!

So I didn't bring up the issue. But I know I went thru one a set of brakes on ONE ride in the rain!

I am lucky with the lack of rain here. NO need to brake on fast descents.
In the summer, we don't get a whole lot of rain... but that's only 3 months out of the year. The other 9 months are pretty soggy, and the winter brings us a mix of rain, snow and slush. The city uses sand and cinders on the roads, so I fully understand going through a pair of brake pads in a single long ride. I was going through a pair every 3 weeks to a month during the winter (KS Salmon V-brake cartridge type pads).