View Single Post
Old 06-18-09, 10:25 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hannahmontana
I am a pretty skinny girl. OK, I am a really skinny girl. My bent, is a lowracer style, and it weighs about 1/3 of what I do. A little less than a third. Anyways, I am ok on the flats and rolling hills, and rock into the wind. But on the kind of hills where I would stand up on the pedals on an upright bike, I just can't seem to generate the power I need. I shift down and down til I finally have no more gears then I tip over.

And walk. Which is really embarrassing. I need some ideas how to keep drving that baby up the big steep hills. I am fit, but don't have a lot of horsepower, I guess.
I had a lowracer and found the hills were a challenge compared to my DF bikes. Some things to consider:

- lower the weight of your bike even more
- lower your gearing depending on the existing range [at some point there is no value to a lower gear]
- ride hills as much as possible to build up your fitness
- try raising the seat angle in small increments to close the angle between your torso and legs