Old 06-18-09, 11:08 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by CameronSmi
Hello from a newbie (after years off a bicycle). I've recently obtained a GT ZR 5.0 with Ultegra 6600 derailleurs (I can see the name on the rear, but not specifically on the front one, but I'll assume they came as a pair - bad assumption?). I'm looking to use the bike on some longer fund-raising rides in the range of 50 to 100 miles, but have found the current setup to be less than optimal for me since I'm not strong enough to really use the last two or three high gears. I did a 42 miler a couple of weeks ago on a heavier bike and took 3 1/2 hours with a friend, but I had lots of energy left at the end of the ride. Thus, I believe I can handle 15 mph for at least 4 hours on the ZR.

Here's my questions:

I'm looking at changing the chainring from 34T/50T to 34T/40T, to obtain a more usable range (it was originally set up by a very competitive tri-athlete) for the relative flats (minor hills) and some half-step gearing, but I have concerns that the FD can't handle that small a variance. Will the Ultegra 6600 FD still work? Are there any other concerns I need to be aware of before buying the 40T?

Cameron
For a double half-step, yes the 6600 will work. For a triple, it would not, as the 10 speed stuff no longer has the travel the previous version had.

What you're choosing is not half-step gearing though. I looked at the gear chart of a 34/40 12-27 9sp. Now, I'm a bit of a gear freak myself, and I do use half-step gearing.. .. . . but this combo has me scratching my head. The gears are still crossed over. An even semi- half step cannot be had with that cassette, as the cogs are spaced closely already. It's not needed.

The only 40t rings you can get are Sugino "regular" ones. They can be used inner or outer. No shift ramps or anything like that. I have no idea about indexed front shifting. http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0096-34'

A more functional half-step would be say a 39/42 with a 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 . That's not what you're thinking , but it's an example of half-steps in the mega cluster era. Good luck !