View Single Post
Old 06-19-09, 12:39 PM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonechilling
Why on earth would an Alien, a track bike in all respects, be "better for the street"? WTF is this nonsense about "minimalism and craft"? What about this bike isn't "track specific"? Finally, do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Read Alien's site. Excerpts:

- "Alien Bikes exists to provide fixed gear purists with the gear they need, but can't get locally." (demographic is not track people)
- "We at Alien Bikes have chosen and spec'ed our products not based on some calculated market research, but rather based on what we want to ride." (not track-designed)
- "Aesthetics play a big part in fixed gear cycling, and if you think flip-flop hubs are an eye-sore (like we do), and that holes (water bottle, brakes, fenders!?!) ruin a frame, you've come to the right place." (minimalism)

Clearly this is a bike that is designed for people who value a certain concept over having a track bike, people the site refers to as "purists". This has nothing to do with track performance. Nothing whatsoever. Lugs don't make a bike go faster. But they satisfy the desire of these "purists" who want a traditionally beautiful frame. Lack of branding doesn't make the bike better for the track, but it satisfies the desire to have a minimal bike without frills.

No hate to Alien ... but this is not a bike designed specifically for the track. This is a conceptual bike designed to appeal to a certain person (a purist, like the maker of Alien bikes). A type of person, imo, that typically will be using this bike on the streets. If you go to the velodrome, people don't talk about Alien frames as the archetypal track bike. Certainly, as I stated in my original post, you could use it there and be just fine.

For the record, I have ridden both the Alien (and the Kazane, which most people compare it to) and the Concept. For a rider of my skill, the difference isn't huge. But I do think of the three, the Concept is superior for the track. The Alien and the Kazane are more comfortable though.

EDIT: BTW, the OP asked "Alien frames...better for the street? or will they hold their own at the track?". I said they would do both. I do think they are better for the street. Much like a Kilo TT. But that they would also hold their own at the track. Much like a Kilo TT. Again, these aren't bikes you would name off as the bikes to look out for ... but you would hear makes like the Concept and the FTP. Again, for $400 (a little steep for a frame), you could get a FTP frame and for a little more probably a Concept frame (The Concept frame might be more like $500 now that they are so popular.). Personally I'd take either of them over the Alien for the track. Again, though, I don't think the Alien is a frame not worth of the track.

Last edited by devilshaircut; 06-19-09 at 01:00 PM.